MPS can provide a medical physics report for research. The medical physics report consists of:
- An assessment of the expected total effective dose and, if appropriate, relevant organ dose for only those radiological procedures which are performed specifically for the research protocol and which would not form part of the research participant’s normal clinical management
- A statement as to whether the dose constraints are likely to be exceeded. If the dose constraints are likely to be exceeded, MPS will organise for a second medical physicist to verify the radiation dose assessment.
- An assessment of the risks associated with expected radiation exposure to be considered by the HREC
- Proposed text on the radiation dose and radiation risks to be included in the patient informed consent form (PICF)
- A statement on whether the project needs to be notified to DHHS (in Victoria)